Applications are now being accepted for membership of untethered fibre artists. Applications close on 7 September 2018, for our next cycle, 2018-19.
Who is the ideal applicant?
- You will live in NSW/ACT. The group requires a percentage of Sydney-based members to function and this balance will be taken into consideration.
- You will have exhibition, conceptual and technical practice on a par with the level of the group.
- You will be able to work in a group, for the benefit of all and your approach should reflect the collegiate philosophy of the group.
- You will be able to hit the ground running with our new exhibition cycle, Found Narrative. Concepts are due for presentation in early December. Further information about Found Narrative may be found here. Found NarrativeBrief new members
Successful applicants are expected to:
- contribute equally to costs, which are currently about $1000 p.a. plus travel costs;
- share the workload;
- attend at least 3 group meetings in northern Sydney per year, including at least 1 critique day, attendance at all meetings and critique sessions is the ideal;
- be prepared to participate in critiquing of their own work and others’;
- participate actively in our invisible Facebook group and in promotion on social media and/or through personal networks;
- attend as many gallery opening nights as possible;
- be prepared to provide value-adding, e.g. workshops or artist talks, at regional galleries, according to level of expertise.
What do you get from the group?
- Your work and you as an artist will be promoted on our website and public Facebook page;
- Your work will be photographed by a well-known photographer and you will own the copyright of these images.
- Your work will be included in a colour catalogue of the whole exhibition, including an artist practice statement from you and images of your work. The catalogue has an ISBN, its details including your name appear in a Google Books search and it is lodged with Libraries of Deposit including the National Library of Australia;
- By sharing costs, you have access to many more venues than you could manage alone;
- You will work within a supportive environment of like-minded artists;
- You have access to critiquing by an experienced curator, as well as by the group, allowing your art practice to grow.
What do you do to apply?
Please send us:
- This application form with your details NewMemberForm_untethered fibre artists inc
- 6 photos of works, including at least one detail shot
- details of your personal website, Facebook Page or Instagram account (if you have them)
- 1 page CV in the format supplied Sample CV Master
- 1 page personal artist statement, outlining your conceptual and material practice and inspiration.
Send your application to email@example.com or by mail to untethered fibre artists, 244 Malton Rd, Epping NSW 2121.
How do we choose?
The selection panel of three people, including the President, reviews all applications. Names and details of applications are confidential but the panel may ask technical advice from a group member. The selection panel will select 3-5 applicants to interview. Interviewees and unsuccessful applicants will be informed as promptly as possible.
Interviews will be held in northern Sydney in the third week of September.
The decision of the panel is final. The group is under no obligation to accept any candidates, if no applicant is considered a good match.
The panel will report back to committee before interviews are conducted and once the selection process is complete.
Successful applicants are accepted for one exhibition cycle as Companion members. At the end of the cycle, the committee will either decide the member is not a good fit or their position in the group is confirmed.